Penang does not plan to close all public recreation areas in the district of Seberang Perai Tengah

By TIN Media | Penang News Published 1 month ago on 15 August 2020
Read News

GEORGETOWN :

Penang does not plan to close all public recreation areas in the district of Seberang Perai Tengah listed in a yellow zone three days ago after four new COVID-19 infections.

Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said instead that the government had announced the immediate action plan to prevent the spread of the pandemic through the Seberang Perai City Council (MBSP).

"The four new cases were not locally transmitted but imported from neighboring states, namely Kedah and Perak. We have identified 37 close contacts of the Kurau and Sivagangga clusters," he told reporters.

He added that Penang 's situation was still under control until now, and no new cases occurred in the state.

Meanwhile, Chow says Penang 's rate of hotel occupancy also showed encouraging signs after the inter-state travel ban had been lifted.

He said most hotels in Penang recorded up to 90 percent occupancy rates, especially during weekends.

"This is a good sign for the state's tourism sector because Penang is the first to initiate tourism accreditation system to ensure that appropriate guidelines and security measures are taken by industry players," he said.

He says that 50 players from the tourism industry — consisting of 38 hotels, seven tourist attractions, and five shopping malls — have applied since the program was launched on July 8.

"This is a step towards ensuring their readiness to comply with the new normal in tandem with the reopening of the industry to local tourists," he said.


    TAGS / KEYWORDS:

Email TIN

TIN Media

TIN.media - Travel Industry Network is Malaysia's home grown B2B Travel Industry Media with the most influential B2B online resources including news, research, events, and marketing services and more.